Monday, December 7, 2009

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! Boooo-ee boooo-ee boooo-ee...

To be a good author apparently one must be well read. Jack, as I call him, even though I kinda like Jean-Louis aka Kerouac, was well read and still received much critics from his contemporaries.

I haven’t read Proust or Joyce or many other classics even though I have the privilege to read many of them in their original language when it is French or English.

My readings have been chaotic spells of all sorts usually followed by a drought. Tintin, Bob Morane, Doc Savage, Ian Fleming, the 25th hour by Georghiu among many others Le livre des Secrets Trahis by Charroux and all that before I was 12. I enjoyed many sci-fi and especially H.G. Wells and Bradbury, and Orwell and Kurt Vonnegut Jr etc.

Later on I had a strange spell of L.M. Montgomery including her journals; then John Irving for like 6 or 7 books and a half in a row. “Died” in the middle of Cider House Rules for no other reason than being bipolar I now suppose and know, even though CHR was quite interesting and has formed and shaped my mind a lot regarding careless breeding.

Lately it is the amazing wild world and jungle of Wikipedia that I enjoy but in small bites, many small bites.

If there was one thing I would WANT to do I guess is writing I enjoy this process of processing words and ideas, wonderful words of all sorts and ditto for the ideas.

On the other hand I just want to do it when I WANT to do it. Otherwise the source loses its “purity”, the inspiration becomes a lie and a fake and you have to deal with something mortal and human like DEADLINES! YUCK!

Also one wants some recognition and glory, one wants to share his light but one has to tread very carefully here unless one is called J.D. Salinger, here is another one of my spells that I really enjoyed.

J.D. Salinger and Mohammed Ali are GIANTS because they stood up to the greedy world and said:

NO!

Go #$%^ Yourselves!

I am NOT doing it.

Ali refused at a very young age to kill strangers who had done him no harm and he did so at a great cost and Salinger escaped the media madness and greedy frenzy that usually go with glory. In other words you won’t see him on Oprah’s show.

So here are some of the dangers I see.

  1. 1. Keep the desire pure, do not write to fill a blog or fill chapters or by force and boredom
  2. 2. Have no worries of outcome of any kind; just write what YOU want whatever the cost. You are not writing for others but primarily for yourself as some form of mind exploring, mind clearing therapy.
  3. 3. DO NOT ever ever SELL OUT.
  4. 4. Do what you want when you want.
  5. 5. Stop if you must as you certainly will, knowing full well the spectrum and yoyo of your special disorder. Bipolar is fun no matter what. The crazies have all the fun as Jack said.
  6. 6. Write for yourself, but write also for the world, leave a trail of atoms back there that may encroach on some other atoms, maybe it’s the only way to stay alive, well until this planet blows up anyway.
  7. 7. Now if you were only to follow this son it would be a good start. So easy to talk though when one is free but freedom is often bought unfortunately like a good small business that started so well with pure and great intentions is always at the end engulfed by some greedy multinational somewhere.
  8. 8. Try to remain free and somewhat focused and also more or less concise, hell sometimes you even bore yourself so imagine the others.
  9. 9. To prove my point I will stop for now at this insignificant aleatory number, no numerological voodoo here like 10 commandments or 12 apostles since I can’t think of anything else and as I said why add more when the firsts would be a miraculous accomplishment in this world of humongous pressure and stress.

Plus there is another 30 guidelines down there that are pretty good as well plus haven’t been followed by their author (Jack Kerouac) either, especially #3.

  1. 1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
  2. 2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
  3. 3. Try never get drunk outside yr own house
  4. 4. Be in love with yr life
  5. 5. Something that you feel will find its own form
  6. 6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
  7. 7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
  8. 8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
  9. 9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
  10. 10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
  11. 11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
  12. 12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
  13. 13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
  14. 14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
  15. 15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
  16. 16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
  17. 17. Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
  18. 18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
  19. 19. Accept loss forever
  20. 20. Believe in the holy contour of life
  21. 21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
  22. 22. Don't think of words when you stop but to see picture better
  23. 23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
  24. 24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
  25. 25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
  26. 26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
  27. 27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
  28. 28. Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
  29. 29. You're a Genius all the time
  30. 30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven

Finally here is a summary of all this in one quotation from Tom Waits in Fisher King.

Disabled Veteran: He's payin' so he don't have to look. See... guy goes to work every day, eight hours a day, seven days a week. Gets his nuts so tight in a vice that he starts questioning the very fabric of his existence. Then one day, 'bout quitting time, Boss calls him into the office and says, "Hey Bob, whyncha come on in here and kiss my ass for me, will you?" Well, he says, "Hell with it. I don't care what happens, I just want to see the expression on his face as I jab this pair of scissors into his arm."
[sighs]
Disabled Veteran: Then he thinks of me. He says, "Waitaminit. I got both my arms, I got both my legs. At least I'm not begging for a living. Sure enough, Bob's gonna put those scissors down and pucker right up. See, I'm what you call kind of a "moral traffic light", really. I'm like sayin', "Red! Go no further! Boooo-ee boooo-ee boooo-ee..."

No comments:

Post a Comment